Top 40 Australian and New Zealand Travel Bloggers 2014

Uluru (Ayers Rock) in the Northern Territory, Australia
Uluru (Ayers Rock) in the Northern Territory, Australia

Welcome to the first edition of the ranked list of the top 40 Australian and New Zealand travel bloggers.  There is a proliferation of Australian and New Zealand travel bloggers who share travel information about both their home countries and their trips around the world.  Top Australian and New Zealand Travel Blogs for 2016 has now been published which supersedes this article.

I want to provide a lot more information about who are the top travel bloggers from Australia and New Zealand who also write about Australia and New Zealand.  As a result I am going to present my list of the top 40 Australian and New Zealand travel bloggers based upon purely a metrics approach.

I have used a weighted combination of the following elements to assess each site:

Please let me know via the comments if you agree with the approach I have taken or whether you have an alternative suggestion on how I should construct the scoring.

To give some perspective below are the typical profiles of the top 40 Australian and New Zealand travel bloggers:

• Google Page Rankings for the top 20 bloggers are typically between 3 and 5, with the top 21 to 40 bloggers typically being between 2 and 4 out of a maximum of 10.
  • Alexa rankings for the top 20 bloggers are between the top 30,000 and 300,000 websites in the world, with the majority of top 21 to 40 bloggers being between the top 300,000 and 1,000,000 websites in the world.
  • Domain Authority scores for the top 20 bloggers are between 37 and 61, with the top 21 to 40 bloggers being between 36 and 51 out of a maximum of 100.
  • Page Authority scores for the top 20 bloggers are between 45 and 68, with the top 21 to 40 bloggers being between 35 and 51 out of a maximum of 100.

So without further ado here are the top 40 travel bloggers in Australia and New Zealand as at 27 December 2013.

This list of bloggers was sourced via extensive searching using multiple sources however I expect there are still many Australian travel blogs which are not on the list.  In addition I could only search for blogs which have a unique domain name, so there are also several good blogs who did not make it onto the list as a result.

If other travel bloggers believe they should be included on this list please add your details in the comments below for consideration for the next list which I plan to release in approximately three months time.  Also if you wish to be removed from the list please let me know.

Subscribe below to my email list to receive my free Travel Planning Template Package – which includes a handy short guide, the blank template and several examples of how to use them.

75 Comments

• Thanks so much for the inclusion in your mammoth undertaking to collate 40 Ozzie and NZ travel bloggers!

It’s always great to source more fresh reads – and you’ve managed to expose some that are new to me.

All the best for 2014 🙂
    Linda ~ Journey Jottings recently posted…Why Not Tell Your Story with Doodle Drawings… as Well as Words?My Profile

• Linda, thanks for your comment. It was a big job to put the list together and it was really interesting to see how the metrics came together, especially as I know the work I have had to put in over the last two years to grow my blog. I have been tracking the same metrics on a monthly basis for Pretraveller for about 18 months now so it has been a real journey in its own right to work to see them grow.

I am also happy to hear that I have found some new blogs for you to look at!

• Dean says:

Thanks for including me in the list. There are a few blogs here that I haven’t heard of before. I’ll have to check them out. Cheers 🙂
    Dean recently posted…2013: A Year of TravelMy Profile

• Don’t know if you included my travel blog Aerohaveno in your calculations; you can find it here: http://www.aerohaveno.com/

• Thanks for including me! I feel honoured!!

That must have been such a huge task to collate this list, well done!

My only gripe is including page rank – probably because I have not done well out of it thanks to the fact that its meant to be from old data and I launched a new website in October 🙂
    Sharon @ Where’s Sharon? recently posted…What does USA budget accommodation look like? Motel 6 ColumbiaMy Profile

• Sharon, thanks for your comment and congratulations for your inclusion in the list. If you keep going and stay relatively on topic you should eventually find that your page rank increases. The benefits of shifting to the new website may not be immediate but in the longer term it should stand you in good stead.

I suggest you also make sure that you have an XML site map which enables Google to better catalogue your site. I have a self hosted WordPress site and I use the ‘Google XML Sitemaps’ plugin which works well.

• Chris says:

Well done on finding some many other aussie and kiwi travel bloggers. How the numbers have grown since I started way back when. Quite a few I didn’t know existed on this list so appreciate all your effort Anne.
    Chris recently posted…Tips For An Irish Road TripMy Profile

• Hi Anne,

Feel free to add me in the future.
    I’m not travelling at the moment but plan to be sooner or later so I doubt that I would make the list but I have been in the top 1,000,000 on Alexa before … but I had a nasty hacker attack that has limited the amount of people hitting my site.

• Thanks so much for including us in your top 40! We are very honoured!

We look forward to reading all of the other blogs on the list!
    Sam @ Travellingking.com recently posted…The Preparation of my first Sydney BridgeClimb – Part 1My Profile

• Why thank you for including us – greatly appreciated. We often get left off Aussie blog lists as we’ve lived overseas and been travelling around the world for so many years, despite the fact that we regularly get back home and so much of our content is on Australia. And yet I’ve noticed so many ‘Australian’ bloggers are often expatriates themselves.

And thank you so much for doing this. I know what a lot of work it is. It’s also a fabulous way to discover other blogs. Unfortunately I don’t have as much time to explore the blogosphere as I used to. I’m going to go check out your road trip posts now!
    lara dunston recently posted…Our Tips for Road Trips in AustraliaMy Profile

• Lara, thanks for your comment. When I put together the list I did look to see whether the blogger had any Australian or New Zealand content over the past year or so. If they did not have any posts about our great countries then I did not include them on the list. Maybe I should set up a separate section for fully expat Australian and New Zealand bloggers as there are certainly quite a few out there!

• Anne, I should have explained myself better (and I actually get paid to write!). What I meant was that often with these Australian blog lists so many of the ‘Aussie’ bloggers are actually expats born in the US/Canada, who are spending a few years or so in Australia. I wasn’t referring to Australians based overseas or continually travelling. That’s perfectly fine, of course, it’s just an observation – on French blogger lists, most of the bloggers are American expats based in Paris.

Your list is so short compared to so many of these sorts of compilations, generally top 100s, that I don’t think it’s time for you to separate it yet. Nor is there probably a need – most of the highest ranking North American bloggers are either based outside the USA/Canada or continually travelling the world. I think your criteria that they have to be Australian/NZers who have recent content on Australia/NZ makes sense. Again, well done.
        lara dunston recently posted…Our Tips for Road Trips in AustraliaMy Profile

• Lara, I definitely found this first list post a challenge to put together and decide who to include and also how to weight the different metrics to get a reasonable result.

I decided to use the presence of Australian and New Zealand content as a requirement for inclusion because if people are looking for an Australian or New Zealand travel blog it makes sense that there is some local content on these sites.

Anyway, I plan to progressively grow the size of the list as I update it every three months and I expect that I will also refine my approach over time!
          Anne Sutherland-Smith recently posted…NEW! Top 40 Australian and New Zealand Travel BloggersMy Profile

• What an incredible amount of work you have done to compile this great list Anne. Thankyou so much for including me! There’s a few new finds there to keep me busy over the holidays!
    jenny@atasteoftravel recently posted…London’s Christmas WonderlandMy Profile

• Alyson says:

Thanks for including us on your list. What a lot of work for you! Great to see that our blog is starting to stand up against some of the big names. Next year top 10 I hope! There are quite a few on the list that I don’t know, time to check them out!
    Alyson recently posted…Time Travel at the Museum of Welsh Life, St FagansMy Profile

• Turtle says:

Great list – thanks for putting it together!
    It seems that Australian and NZ travel bloggers are quite different from those of many other countries. Because of the distance to the rest of the world (and the size of Oz), a lot of us spend most of our time overseas and don’t base ourselves at ‘home’. That means that we’re less likely to actually meet up in real life and have a bit of a community.
    Perhaps, now that we have this list, we could actually get in contact with each other a little more!
    Turtle recently posted…Sloth is not a sinMy Profile

• Michael, thanks for your comment and congratulations for getting onto the list. I must admit that I hadn’t heard of your blog (and quite a few others) before doing the research for this article, so I definitely agree. I also think I may need to set up a separate section for expat travel bloggers, as I did not include bloggers who had not written any recent articles about Australia or New Zealand. I will do some more thinking about the travel blogging community issue!

• Hi Anne,I write a blog called http://www.50shadesofage.com which covers a lot of different subjects for the 50 somethings. I do a lot of blogs about travel and will be embarking on a six month trip around Australia in 4 weeks time and will be blogging as I go. I would love to be considered for a listing on your website.
    Kathy Marris recently posted…25 Reasons to Holiday in AustraliaMy Profile

• It’s great that we’re part of the top 40. This provides us to know more about other bloggers in Australia. Thanks for coming up with a great list! 🙂
    Sean and Michael recently posted…Close Encounters in the Australian Reptile ParkMy Profile

• Johanna says:

Thanks for doing such an awesome amount of research to compile this interesting list. I’m very chuffed to be included amongst so many other fabulous bloggers that I admire very much, and also to be introduced to a few new and interesting reads too 🙂
    Johanna recently posted…Top 10 Places in Western Australia by The WA TastemasterMy Profile

• Jo says:

Anne, like everyone else I’d like to thank you for all your hard work, and more including me in such exalted company. Given the discussion with Lara maybe next time it would be helpful to outline your definitions and criteria for inclusion or exclusion.
    Jo recently posted…2013 – my favorite travel momentsMy Profile

• Hi Jo, I think Anne did that in the first two paras above. I don’t want to create more work for her. I was really just making a passing mention of how nice it was to be included as I’m often left off the Aussie blogger lists – I was once told it was because I was based overseas, despite returning fairly regularly and writing about Australia often. I think Anne’s done a terrific job and she probably doesn’t need to go to the additional trouble of creating separate lists until she’s reached the 100s. Are there that many Australian-NZ travel blogs out there, I wonder…? It will be interesting to see.
      lara dunston recently posted…Footpath Feasting: The Condiment Tray and DIY SeasoningMy Profile

• Carolyn says:

Congratulations on your amazing effort in putting this list together, Anne. I follow quite a few of the blogs you’ve mentioned but you’ve also introduced me to some new ones that I’ll check out with interest. I’ll be increasing my blog posts in 2014 and hope that in the future I might be included in your list of Australia’s top travel bloggers. My passion is traveling in Europe and sharing my experiences with others and I plan on doing a lot more of both in the future!
    Carolyn recently posted…My 5 great European discoveries of 2013My Profile

• I’m excited to be included amongst so many other fabulous bloggers. Thanks for putting together this great list with some of my favourite travel blogs and a few new ones too.
    Michela @Rocky Travel Blog recently posted…Australian Working Holiday VisaMy Profile

• Brilliant list! Thanks so much for including me and I’m stoked I made it as far up as #7!!!
    Bethaney – Flashpacker Family recently posted…How to Save Money on Hotels in SingaporeMy Profile

• Jade says:

Thanks for including us! I have found a few new blogs I need to check out here thanks to your list 🙂

• Nic says:

Hi Anne

I would love to be considered for inclusion in the list you have compiled – great work and look forward to checkout out all these great blogs!

– Sharky
    Nic recently posted…New restaurant & bar openings in December – a round-up of what’s hit Melbourne in the past monthMy Profile

• Hi Anne,

Thank you so much for creating this list I’m ecstatic to see Get In the Hot Spot here and to be part of such an adventurous, creative and courageous group:)
    Annabel Candy, Get In the Hot Spot recently posted…52 Exercises Quest Ends: Swimming Laps and New BeginningsMy Profile

• What a huge task putting this together was. thank you so much for doing it. I think it’s awesome to have a list of Aussie and Kiwi bloggers like this as we often get lost in the global world and Aussies have so much to offer- or those writing about Australia.

It’s wonderful to have one place where you can find them all. I get plenty of PR/tourist board people telling me they can’t find Aussie bloggers- this list will help them for sure.
    Caz Craig Makepeace (@yTravelBlog) recently posted…Where Are We Headed in 2014?My Profile

• Caz and Craig, thanks for your kind comments. Congratulations on being the top travel bloggers in Australia and New Zealand! Having followed you now for several years I am always impressed by the quality and volume of material that you produce, and I am really loving your current road trip around Australia.

Putting the list together took quite a lot of time as I had to trawl through literally hundreds of blogs to identify which ones met the criteria for inclusion, being people from Australia and New Zealand (either born here or immigrated here) and whether they had any relatively recent Australian or New Zealand content on their blog. I plan to continue updating the list every three months so hopefully it can continue to be an great resource for people to find Australian and New Zealand travel bloggers.

All the best for 2014 and have a great time touring around Australia!

• Hey thanks so much for including me in this awesome list! I am honoured to be included as an Australia-New Zealand blogger even if I am not based in the antipodes at the moment. Plenty more NZ and OZ content coming up on the blog. I had never heard of Not Quite Nigella 🙂 And lovely to connect with you – happy new year!
    Natasha von Geldern recently posted…New Zealand: The Hobbit film locationsMy Profile

• Natasha, thanks for your comment and congratulations for being included in the list. My criteria was for some Australian and New Zealand content within the last year, so your blog certainly met that criteria. All the best for 2014!

• Hi there. Great list! I had no idea there were so many bloggers in Oz and NZ. I’m relatively new to travel blogging, and my site doesn’t rate highly anywhere at all. Despite really trying with my SEO stuff. I’m hoping to travel a lot more from March to November this year so trying to get my blog on track and site more user friendly. Would love to be included on this list.
    Abbi Morrison recently posted…Visiting Mount Wellington, TasmaniaMy Profile

• Abbi, thanks for your comment, and welcome to the world of travel blogging! It is a real learning journey, and the SEO takes a little while to kick in. I will email you some good resources to help which I have found to be useful and effective. All the best for 2014!

• Electra says:

Hi Anne, thanks for compiling this list – I’ve just spent over an hour trawling through the pages; and bookmarked a couple too.

We’re a Kiwi family of 7 in the planning->launch phase of our travel adventures. Our website is only 4 weeks old, so I doubt it will qualify for a while 😉 but please keep us in mind!

• Hey – nice job. We are also kiwis travel bloggers – http://www.30traveler.com and rtw-travel-guide.com 🙂 Quite a few of the bloggers on your list are already favorites of ours (eg Ytravel and Flashpacker Family) but some of these are new to me. Great list!
    Kate @ RTW Travel Guide recently posted…Auckland’s Muriwai Beach and Gannet ColonyMy Profile

• Thanks heaps for this! I launched a new travel website late last year and have been working my way through these as a little research to see what the pro’s are doing in terms of articles, web layout etc etc. Very, very valuable list! Thanks again.

• Jaryd says:

Wow Anne it’s such an honor to actually make it on the list. I truly appreciate you putting this together as I am sure a lot more people on the list and viewers are too.
    Cheers 🙂
    Jaryd recently posted…A golden ticket for unlimited travel . . . forever!My Profile

• Jaryd, thanks for your comment. It is great that you made it onto the list.

Keep an eye out for the updated list which will be released towards the end of March. Since releasing this list I have added many more Australian and New Zealand bloggers onto my ‘watch’ list so it will be interesting to see how the metrics stack up!

• elina sara says:

Thanks for sharing your travel blog list.

• Love getting to know the aussie bloggers!

• Sarah says:

Thanks for this list! I’ve discovered some great new blogs tonight, including yours 🙂 Looking forward to reading more in the future. Happy travels, Sarah (Aussie traveller at travellivelearn.com)
    Sarah recently posted…Super tasty sautéed broccoliMy Profile

• Harvie says:

some good blogs out there, really enjoyed going through them. You never really realize how many travel blogs there actually are on the Internet!
    Harvie recently posted…Sydney day trip IIMy Profile

• Harvie, thanks for your comment. I agree that there are many more than you first realise. Since I posted this article I have found many more Australian and New Zealand travel bloggers to add to my ‘watch list’ and I am looking forward to starting to put together the data for the next list over the next few weeks.

• I think you totally need to include us. We love a lot of these blogs 🙂

• Erin, I have been making a list of even more Australian and NZ travel bloggers since publishing this article and you are definitely on it as a possible contender. I have also added you to my ‘Australian Travel Blogs’ Twitter list – have a look to see who else is there as they are your competition (along with the NZ list)! You might note that I already have 107 blogs to assess…

Just make sure that I will be able to get all of your stats to ensure you are in the mix! There were a few blogs last time where I could not get data and in that case I had to leave them off the list. I am planning to start putting together the next list in the next few weeks.

• Hi Anna

Thanks for the list. My wife Sarah, son Jack and I are starting our adventure on April 14, first stop Vietnam then Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, then wherever the wind takes us. This list will come in handy as we’re always on the lookout for great Aussie blogs. But I plan on being on this list in the not too distant future
    Chris Appleford recently posted…The hardest thing I have had to doMy Profile

• Chris, thanks for your comment. I hope you all have a great travelling adventure and I look forward to following your travels. And just be persistent with your blogging and you should be in with a chance in the future!

• Nice to hear of a few new names (and I recognise a few familiar ones, too). What a huge task to put together the list!
    Bronwyn Joy recently posted…Neighbourhood Noticeboard April-June, 2014My Profile

• Bronwyn, thanks for your comment. It was a big job to put the first list together, and you will be interested to know that since then I have collected the details of even more Australian and New Zealand travel bloggers to assess! I will be starting to put together the next list in a couple of weeks so it will be interesting to see how the numbers come up for everyone.

On a personal level my Pretraveller blog has significantly increased in the various rankings since I put this first list together, so it will be intereting to see where it sits, especially now that i have so many more blogs to compare with.

• Oh! Just came back here because I was reading one of the other Australian blogs I follow. Baz The Landy.

Not sure how he ranks against the others by your metrics, but in terms of photography skills and use of the word “crikey” he’s got to be up there near the top:
    Bronwyn Joy recently posted…Twas mimsy, and the slithy snowMy Profile